Monday, October 27, 2008

What Makes You Happy?

Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli

Or to Charles Schwartz, a warm puppy.

So while experiencing my current state of happiness, I have been questioning what is different about my life now, than 2-month ago? A couple month ago I wouldn't have conceded to being happy. I pretended pretty well. I had a great job, good friends, and supportive family, what could make a girl happier? But for some reason, when things reach a certain level of stability, I get restless. I can't help it, honestly, no control. Consistency, routine, all the things that are suppose to make you feel as though you have achieved something...get under my skin and make me feel stagnant.

So what makes me happy? Change. I thrive under change, even though it scares me. I had a friend, Thomas, tell me earlier today change was "just a matter of breaking through your fears." I feel as though much of what we don't do is because of the fear of not knowing the outcome, but isn't that half the fun?

Ever since then, I have embraced that change is what makes me happy. I have been more committed to being myself in other ways too. I say things that don't necessarily pass through "the filter," attend functions where I don't know anyone, and reach out to people I might have been too afraid to continue a relationship with. I guess you could say I am doing my own little social experiment on myself, and so far I love the outcome.

We'll see how it goes ;)

Might be cliche, but what have you done before that scared you? Did it come out how you planned, better?

1 comment:

CPA Mom said...

quitting my job while on maternity leave 6 years ago was scary but I did find a new job. I think I'm better off today but I'm wondering if I need change to be happy too. I feel like finding a new job again!